Saturday, August 26, 2006

feb2006 "Little victories": walking on my own to coffee shop, riding bike to physical therapy, picking up pennies


It’s been a few weeks since I last circulated an update so thought I would send out a summary of recent ”Little victories,” as I like to call them, to let those of you who have been so generous with compassion, prayers, positive vibes,email and notes over the past month know that I am doing well and working hard to fulfill your wishes on my behalf. Word from St. David's is that physical therapy goals are being met in terms of regaining ‘normal gait.” I’m doing well enough that I am now (finally! )cleared to walk on my own to my beloved neighborhood café jo’s where I am seen at 7:15 each morning and at the best sidewalk table on any given sunny afternoon of which there have been several since Christmas weekend. I am no longer using a cane so that has joined the heap that includes the wheel chair, and the arm sling. Fortunately, my primary physical therapist “gets” me – she was varsity volley ball player at Boston College so has some appreciation for and sensitivity about my goals and expectations regarding returning to what I would consider “normal” physical activity physical activity without taking risks to my health we are exploring the limits to duration and intensity of cardio vascular activity – monitoring my blood pressure before during and after any session on stationary bike, treadmill or water jogging in the pool I’m at the point where I can do 15 minutes at a moderate pace and keep bp under 160/90 in fact today posted a 146/82 after 12 minutes on the stationary bike, so next week we try 20 and we’ll keep going as long as heart rate and blood pressure remain within safe level. Ultimately need an MRI and neurocardio team to assess health of ceratoid artery where occlusion and clot are believed to have formed to cause stroke. I’m thrilled to report significant progress with the left arm and hand: I’ve regained gained flexion (ability to make fist )and extension Note: this is the typical progression for recovery of motor control. I’ve learned that you’ve gotta have both flexion and extension to use your hand to pick up (and this part is key ) let go of objects. Challenge has been gaining control of fingers. Believe it or not, movement is easier or harder from different arm positions: arm extended, arm in weight –bearing position, close to body away from body all present different challenges, other challenge is gaining isolated control: i.e. lift the index finger only bring the middle finger down and the thumb across the palm-try picking a penny up with you left thumb and ring finger and you’ll see what I mean and exactly what I have been doing again and again, note: it’s easier on a towel or table cloth than on a hard surface of table- practicing these fine motor skills has given me more strength and control with the left hand – I’m a long way from fully functional – which can be very frustrating as I’m working so hard and seeing progress yet not able to use the damn hand the way I’d like to be able to! Just a matter of time and god knows it’s great news that I have attained full flexion and extension. My grip strength has been measured and shows great improvement which means brain signal is getting to each of the fingers and the required range of motion has been seen now it just a matter of developing better control and re-training the hands to work the way they used to. Here's how I'm re-learning I have learned to tie laces but it takes quite a bit of time and concentration. I need to be reminded to breathe when I get in that mode of concentration. I’m often huffing and puffing over a pile of change at the dinner table practicing various finger and thumb combinations picking up coins I'm doing pretty well all things considered... Current challenges are getting my left hand back to full function which means hours of monotonous finger and hand exercises - I’m doing exceptionally well as far as the left leg is concerned in terms of strength and balance as I am now cleared to ride a bike on my own!Click on following link to read about the derivation and significance of the term Little Victories


I even rode today to therapy... about a five mile ride through downtown! So the real challenge now is being careful not to do too much (I am exhausted by 4pm most days from physical and mental effort it takes to get through the day.. Other major issue is emotionally accepting that while I am making great progress in some areas I still have a long way to go and that it will take patience and acceptance of the reality that I had a stroke that caused serious injury to my brain only 12 weeks ago. I'm so eager to gain independence and full functionality in so many areas it's hard to "give in" to fatigue or the realization that I'm just not ready for certain tasks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home