Sunday, September 03, 2006

Fear and loathing in Austin??


Upon reviewing recent post The Good the Bad, and the ugly," a thought floated to the surface : that perhaps I was indulging in a bit too much self-pity and allowing my frustrations too much play. perhaps, 'I thought, venting these frustration with a tirade over some perceived injustice committed by my disability insurance carrier was akin to Don Quixote's charging of the windmills - an ill-conceived and ironically misplaced focus of my anger - for I am damn lucky to have this benefit! So this morning's posting is an exercise in refocusing my narrative on somethng more positive: the extraordinary sources of help and inspiration that have carried me this far. To invoke the muse and feelings of gratitude, I went back (appropriately enough) to an email sent on ThanksGiving morning : "Hearing from so many friends, former work colleagues and extended family members though unexpected, has been an exciting upside to this entire episode. So when I bow my head to give thanks this Thanksgiving day I will be counting the blessing of the gifts I have enjoyed of great friends and family. Please know that the memories of the good times we have shared are cherished memories and that hearing from you lately has been a great source of encouragement and motivation to return to what was a very rich and rewarding life, I have made it back to Austin which I now fondly consider home. I am surprisingly mobile now walking without need of wheel chair except for long trips or situations where I might be on my feet for prolonged periods of time . I can get along very well with cane and with minimal supervision can manage without a cane so I'm pretty steady on my feet and will be back in therapy starting next week to improve balance and endurance. So I wanted those of you who have been kind enough to have monitored my progress to hear this good news from Austin and to know that I am thinking of you all as well and will have you in my mind as I take inventory of those things for which I give thanks. Your friendship has been a great gift."
what struck me is thatby giving too much play to"fear and loathing" about my situation, I had somehow forgotten that not long ago I was celebrating moving from being pushed around in a wheel chair to walking with a cane. While my present frustrations are real and legitimately "off-pissing," getting my knickers in a twist over having to ride my bike instead of driving shows a lack of perspective or a lapse of the self-discipline in adhering to apositive attitude that has enabled me to get as far as I 've gotten. So, the next series of posting I intend to share in this forum will describe the extraordinary contributions my family, my therapists, and my friends have so generously offered- and the profound impact their help has had in my recovery. I hope that they- and you- find even a fraction of the hope, joy and inspiration I've experienced through their gifts to my life and recovery - johnnie please click this link to read about the healing powers of the murphy family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home